The AirPods Pro 2 was just released in this September. If you already own an iPhone, the new AirPods Pro is an obvious choice. Its upgraded H2 chip begets better active noise canceling (ANC) and battery life, while the case’s U1 chip and integrated speaker lets you precisely locate it from the Find My app. With that being said, the AirPods Pro looks nearly identical to the first-generation. There’s still an in-ear design, meaning that the earbuds can get dirty faster, and there are more parts to clean, such as the silicone ear tips.
Luckily, it’s easy enough to clean the AirPods Pro as well as the charging case. And this article will walk you through every step so you won’t miss a thing when trying to clean the earbuds. Let’s dig in!
Get prepared for cleaning the AirPods Pro 2
The best materials for cleaning include cotton swabs, dry lint-free cloth, isopropyl alcohol, wooden toothpick, soapy water, and soft toothbrush. Sometimes you may also like the adhesive putty-like Blu Tack.
Note that during cleaning, you should avoid water. The AirPods Pro 2 is IPX4 water-resistant, which means they’re sweat-resistant, but not waterproof. So you should avoid running AirPods Pro under running water. In addition, Apple also advises against using sharp or abrasive tools, materials, or cleaners, especially in the charging case or the charging contacts.
How to clean AirPods Pro 2
Before you clean the AirPods Pro, do separate the silicon ear tips so that you can use soapy water for them. Here’s how to clean the ear tips:
- Wipe the outside of the ear tips with a dry, clean lint-free cloth.
- Rinse the tips in the soapy water solution.
- Rinse them under fresh running water.
- Use your clean, lint-free cloth to dry them off.
Make sure to air dry completely before placing them back on. While waiting, you can clean the other parts of your AirPods Pro 2 earbuds:
- Wipe down your AirPods Pro with a clean, lint-free cloth. You can also slightly dampen the cloth in isopropyl alcohol for better results.
- For the gunk on the earbuds and the mesh, you can dip the cotton swabs in the isopropyl alcohol too. Then use them to remove the dirty spots.
- To remove the dirt in hard-to-reach crevices, the wooden toothpick, clean toothbrush, or Blu Tack can help as well.
How to clean AirPods Pro 2 charging case
AirPods Pro also come with a case for both storing and charging, so you probably bring it with your earbuds on the go. Because of this, unless you have a protective case, it will get dirty in the end. Here’s how to clean the case:
- Use a lint-free cloth to wipe the outside of the case.
- If there’s debris in the charging case, you could use a flosser pick carefully. Make sure not to apply too much force while using the toothpick.
- Go to the local Apple Store for more help.