The iPhone 14 series have been out for several months. The regular models in many ways resemble the iPhone 13, but undoubtedly they’re still one of the best handsets on the market. The iPhone 14 Pro models, on the other hand, come with the biggest, most notable upgrades we’ve seen on an Apple phone in many years. These include the Dynamic Island, Always-On-Display feature, the all-new A16 Bionic chip and so on.
Besides all these, if you plan to buy an iPhone 14, you may also be interested in the 5G settings and how to turn it on/off as well. Follow along to learn how to make the best use of 5G on your iPhone 14.
5G is the fifth generation of wireless cellular networks. Compared with 4G LTE, more data is transmitted over shorter distances with 5G, which increases the network’s overall speed and consistency, even when it is moving. Now there are several types of 5G. Among them mmWave offers the fastest speeds but has a quite limited range. While Sub-6Ghz 5G has a better range but speeds closer to 4G LTE.
However, the perks come with some problems. One downside to 5G is it uses more battery than LTE. According to some tests, the iPhone even lasts from 1-2.5 hours longer when turning off 5G. But don’t worry, this guide will help you keep the best balance between faster speeds and better battery life.
How to turn 5G on/off on iPhone 14
5G Auto is by default compatible with iPhone 14 series, which Apple calls “Smart Data mode”. It aims to automatically find the best compromise between battery life and 5G/LTE. However, you can choose to customize the settings for when to use 5G and how much data to use in some apps.
- Go to Settings on iPhone 14
- Tap Cellular
- Choose Cellular Data Options
- Tap Voice&Data
- Then you can switch to 5G to use it anytime it’s available for faster speeds or LTE for better battery life.
How to save data while using 5G
Apple also offers data-saving options alongside battery-saving. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to Settings>Cellular Data Options>Data Mode
- Then you can select any options: Allow More Data on 5G, Standard, Low Data Mode.
What 5G status bar icons stand for
When 5G is enabled and availabel in the area, you’ll notice a 5G icon on the status bar. Depending on the 5G service and connectivity, you’ll see four different icons. “5G” stands for the lower or base frequency of the 5G network. While 5G+, 5G UW, or 5G UC means your iPhone 14 is connected to the carrier’s high-frequency version of 5G. 5G+ means a higher-frequency version. 5G UW means mmWave frequency 5G network. 5G UC (Ultra Capacity) is the network based on the mid-band spectrum.
- The MagSafe Charger makes wireless charging a snap. The perfectly aligned magnets attach to your iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 Pro and provide faster wireless charging up to 15W.
- The MagSafe Charger maintains compatibility with Qi charging, so it can be used to wirelessly charge your iPhone 8 or later, as well as AirPods models with a wireless charging case, as you would with any Qi-certified charger.
- The magnetic alignment experience only applies to iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models.
- This wireless charger has a USB-C integrated cable (1 m)
- The Belkin Difference: Pioneer in technology and innovation for over 35 years.
- Secure Attachment: The Car Vent Mount PRO with MagSafe has been tested to attach securely to most standard car vents, but you should ensure that this product can attach securely in your particular vehicle’s vents prior to use.
- MagSafe Compatible: Powerful MagSafe car vent mount connection with high-quality base and vent clip keeps your device safely in place while driving. Compatible with MagSafe cases.
- View in Any Orientation: Set your playlist in portrait and flip to landscape to use your navigation app.