A patent published last week, May 22 by the WIPO from Samsung Electronics hints that the next Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 may carry an IP rating. The file refers to the model as “an electronic device including a waterproof structure”, which means Galaxy Fold 2 is likely to be protected from water and even dust.
Though rather clear in the patent, we need to note that the patent and the mass production is different, after all. The first Galaxy Fold isn’t waterproof, and it did ever suffer much criticism for it is quite prone to dust entering . If Samsung is to make the new foldable device waterproof, the first challenge is the hinge part because the phone will still have connection holes, so chances are that Samsung has used waterproof elements that are placed at specific locations within the housing.
Speaking of why the first wave of foldables didn’t take advantage of waterproof technologies, Samsung has ever shown that the reason lies in the hinge and the price. Now that with two versions of foldable phones already released, Samsung must have improved a lot on the foldable technology, and a successor with IP rating and a bit higher price is just a matter of time.
The Galaxy Fold 2 may come together with Galaxy Note 20 in August via an online-only event. As a premium device, the Fold 2 may also bring other great features. The larger screen may feature a 120Hz refresh rate, while the smaller screen may top out at the default 60Hz. The battery life can be higher, from the Fold’s 4,380-mAh battery to 4,500- or 5,000-mAh. Rumors also hold that the new Fold will include a stylus, just like what Note series do. Let’s just wait and see if all these will come true soon after.
- Fast Charge Mode: 10W for Samsung Galaxy S10 / S9+ / S9 / S8 / S8+ / S7 edge / S7 /Note 10 / Note 9 / Note 8 / Note 7; 7.5W for iPhone iPhone 11/ 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max / XS Max / iPhone XR / iPhone XS / iPhone X / iPhone 8 / 8 Plus; 5W for Airpods and other Qi enabled devices. ( Not included QC2.0/3.0 adapter)
- Cable Organizer: The wireless charging stand features a groove for cable management. You can roll the cable up and tidy on your desk. Easy to put it into your handbag.
- Safety Charge: This fast charging pad is with over-current, over-voltage, over-temperature Short-circuit and foreign object detection. Directly Charge through your protective case within 3mm. Offers a safe charging experience to your phone.
- Non-Slip Detachable Silicone Case: The inductive wireless charger combines with a detachable silicone case that secures your phone firmly. The non-slip rubber can avoid scratching and sliding from the pad.
- Sleep Friendly: The wireless charging dock has no bright LED indicators. The charging status will be shown to you.