The Apple iPhone 14 series launched at the end of last year has a new breakthrough–“always-on display”. While it’s a new technology for Apple devices, it’s actually been developed by Android years ago. But does the always-on display affect battery life? How will it affect battery life?
It is reported that a group of battery experts conducted an investigation on this a few days ago. They used these four mobile phones including Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max, Google Pixel 7 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos) and Mi 12S Ultra as a reference to study this issue. The display is a power-hungry part of a smartphone. As a result, most smartphone displays turn off after a relatively short period of inactivity. The “always-on display” allows users to view certain types of information, such as the time, without fully waking up the phone. However, the convenience of the always-on display may come at the cost of battery life.
Will the always-on display affect the battery life of your iPhone?
Based on the investigation, experts observed that even though the iPhone offered an average bright screen, it had the lowest power consumption, suggesting that Apple engineers did a very good job of optimizing efficiency. Google and Samsung show similar power consumption, but the requirements for the always-on experience are much lower: only a small part of the screen is lit, and the maximum brightness is kept at a low level. They both show a similar discharge current to the iPhone, while showing a dimmer screen.
As for the Mi 12S Ultra, an Android device, shows the highest battery consumption when the always-on function is on, and while its average brightness is similar to the iPhone, the battery consumption can be explained by its very bright pixels located on the screen. Its unique hieroglyphs. Its maximum brightness is by far the highest. Considering that Android devices have larger batteries than iPhones, the resulting user experience in terms of autonomy gets very similar.
Apple was late to its peers in offering such a feature, but like nearly everything the company rolls out, its engineers delved into how to optimize the user experience by getting the most out of its hardware and operating system. The always-on experience on Android phones has been around for a while, but it’s not quite the same as the iPhone, offering nearly a similar or worse battery experience. The performance of the iPhone 14 Pro Max shows that Android phones can also be further optimized.
Belkin BoostCharge 20k mAh Power Bank – IPhone Charger – Portable Charger – USB-C Charger – Type-C Charger – Phone Charger Battery Pack- iPhone 14, iPhone 13, iPhone 12 – USB-C Cable Included – Black
- EXTRA-LONG BATTERY LIFE – With a capacity of 20,000 mAh this battery pack provides up to 28 hours* of battery life to your tablet, and up to 77 hours* to your smartphone.
- CHARGE TWO DEVICES AT ONCE – This power bank can charge two devices at the same time from its dual USB-A ports. Each port is capable of delivering up to 12W of power, and a total of 15W when both ports are in use.
- DURABLE AND TRAVEL READY: Our battery packs are designed with durability and portability in mind. With its huge capacity and minimal footprint this USB charger is ready to be taken anywhere.
- LED INDICATOR LIGHT – It’s easy to know when the power bank needs to be recharged with the easy to read built-in LED indicator light.
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY: This Belkin power bank comes with a 2-year limited warranty and a Connected Equipment Warranty (CEW) of up to $2,500, so you can rest assured that your iPhone and other devices are safe and protected.
Baseus Magnetic Power Bank 6000mAh 20W for MagSafe, for iPhone 14/13/12 Series, White & Black
- 【The convenient way to charge】Just attach this magsafe compatible battery pack to your iPhone 14/13/12 Series for 7.5W magnetic wireless charging. No more alignment problems, the built-in magnets keep the magnetic power bank in place and prevent slipping.
- 【Another way to juice up your phone faster】By using the 20W USB-C port, you can fast charge your iPhone to 50% in 30 minutes. This battery pack can be fully charged in just about 1hr 50min with a PD charger of 18W or above (not included).
- 【Perfectly designed for iPhone 14/13/12 Series】Works flawlessly with iPhone 14/13/12 Series and the case with magsafe. This power bank does not overlap the camera and has no overhanging, especially for iPhone 13/12mini. *Other phones/devices that support wireless charging can be charged wirelessly, but have no magnetic function.
- 【No more, no less, just right】Almost the same size as other 5000mAh magsafe compatible portable charger, but we have more battery capacity. The 6000mAh capacity is just enough to fully charge most iPhones once, allowing the iPhone 13 to get about 19 additional hours of video playback time.
- 【Pocketable and easy to carry】Nearly credit card-like size, slim enough to slip into your pocket. (9.74*6.38*1.47cm; 3.83*2.51*0.57in). In addition, the contact surface is made of soft silicone, which will not scratch your phone.