The Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro don’t bring any significant upgrades, but there are still a few neat refinements, one of which is the addition of face unlock feature.
Back to the year when the Pixel 4 was released, consumers were surprised to see that the phone came with a dedicated facial recognition system similar to Apple’s Face ID. It worked by mapping the user’s face with its front camera system, which includes a dot projector, a flood illuminator, and an IR camera, and then comparing it with the registered database. However, Google’s version turned out to be missing at least one critical aspect when it first launched, and it even worked when your eyes were closed.
So, in the Pixel 5 Google discontinued the face unlock. Rumors also hinted that the feature would be coming to the Pixel 6, however, it never materialized on that device, leaving many to speculate that Google had given up on the feature entirely.
You can unlock the Pixel 7/7 Pro with your face
Thankfully, the addition of face unlock on the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro proves that the assumptions are wrong. You can now unlock the phone just with a glance. The face unlock feature is based on the company’s latest Tensor G2 processor and Titan M2 security chip, showing Google’s broader approach to device security. According to Google, the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro come with “the added convenience of Face Unlock thanks to advanced machine learning models for face recognition.”
However, it’s important to note that both the phones’ face unlock is less secure compared with Apple’s Face ID. They don’t have a proper facial recognition system. Instead, they are simply enabled by the front camera and the Tensor chipset to analyze and recognize your face. This is exactly the reason why Google only allows you to unlock the phone with this face unlock. When it comes to anything else, like payments and secure logins, you have to convert to the old-school fingerprint scanner, use a PIN or passcode.
You have better fingerprint scanner on Pixel 7/7 Pro
Unlike Pixel 4, Google this time offers both face unlock and fingerprint scanner (still optical in-display scanner) for your to unlock the Pixel 7/7 Pro. Though it is still slower than the ultrasonic scanner used in Samsung and other brand flagships.
One thing to remember is that ace unlock and fingerprint unlock are an either-or choice. That is to say, you can use one or the other, but you can’t use both at the same time as a sort of two-factor authentication system.
- Small yet mighty – the laptop charger that’s the size of a phone charger. A 30W output delivers high-speed charging to phones, tablets, laptops, and all USB-C devices.
- High-Speed – Charge iPhone (8/8+/X/XS/XS/Max) up to 50% in just 30 minutes—2. 5× faster than a 5W iPhone stock charger.
- Ultra-compact – 40% smaller than an out-of-the-box MacBook charger; about the size of a golf ball. Takes up minimal space in any pack or pocket.
- Powered by GaN – by swapping out silicon for gallium nitride (Gann), we’ve created a higher efficiency charger that generates less heat, allowing our charging technology to be shrunk smaller than ever.
- Experience the powerful hold of the six magnetic core
- Universal and seamless compatibility with all smartphones
- Simple matte design with sturdy rubber base that securely stays in while driving
- 360 Rotation for customized view
- Comes with 2 Metal Plates, 2 Protective Film preventing possible adhesive residue