Samsung launched the Galaxy Note 20 and 20 Ultra just days after Corning unveiled Gorilla Glass Victus, and many people are wondering whether the two phones are the first to be equipped with the new Gorilla Glass. The answer is yes, but only the Note Ultra comes with it.
Why the Gorilla Glass Victus received so much attention is that it improved a lot over all previous Glasses. For the first time, they’ve improved both drop and scratch, as the Gorilla Glass Victus is claimed to have twice the scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 6 and four times the resistance of competing glass. A Victus-clap phone can survive up to a 2-meter (6.5-inch) drop. And repeated drop resistance also improved, around 20 1-meter drops enabled, compared with 15 drops from the same height with Gorilla Glass 6.
The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra features a big 6.9-inch screen (a size which is a little bit to hold) and a 120Hz refresh rate, and that may be the reason why Samsung protected it with Gorilla Glass Victus both the front and the back. However, the 6.3-inch, 60Hz Note 20 simply has a Gorilla Glass 5 screen, even a step from Gorilla Glass 6 which appeared on Galaxy Note 10. Besides, fans may be somewhat disappointed to find that a flagship like Galaxy Note 20 uses a polycarbonate plastic chassis rather than a standard glass back.
Still, it is important to note that an upgraded Gorilla Glass Victus doesn’t mean omnipotence. According to Corning VP and lead Gorilla Glass scientist Jaymin Amin, Victus cannot help the phone to keep from micro-abrasions from bits of dirt, sand, metal, and other materials that can get wedged in keys and coins. Like IP rating, Gorilla Glass just protects your phone as much as possible, instead of guaranteeing there won’t be damage at all.
Recommended Protective Phone Cases for Samsung Galaxy Note 20:
Ringke Air-S Case Designed for Galaxy Note 20 Ultra -now$10.99 on Amazon
- The flexible design of the Air matches the device’s thin profile and light weight.
- SF-coating TPU layer prevents scratches made from daily use with trendy colors.
- Specially raised bezels shields the screen while safely lifting away from flat surfaces.
- Attach hand or neck straps with the built-in dual QuikCatch lanyard holes. (Strap sold separately)
- Disclaimer – Air-S does not support adhesive accessories. (i.e. ring holder, cardholder, etc)
Spigen Tough Armour Designed for Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Case -now $16.99 on Amazon
- Combination of TPU and Polycarbonate for dual protection from drops and scratches
- Reinforced kickstand with raised lips to protect screen and camera
- Tactile buttons with precise cutouts raised lips to protect screen and camera
- Certified [MIL-STD 810G-516.6] protection and Air Cushion Technology for anti-shock protection
- Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Case Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra