Many people’s initial impressions on Google Pixel 3/ 3XL when hand on, have mentioned its smooth touch glass back. The praise of the smooth feel can soon be superseded by the disappointment of the scratching issue. Is it a Pixel Gate? Is it so severe that we should not buy it? We must find out the answer.
Does the Google Pixel 3/ 3 XL scratch too easily?
Early at the launch event, people found that the frosted back scratched somewhat easily, especially the black version. But Erica Griffin told a different story in her Scratch Test video. She heard about people complaining about Google Pixel 3/ 3 XL scratches easily. Just putting keys in their pocket, it scratches. Even putting it on tables, it scratches. She explained the hardness of the glass and the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. The hard one will scratch the soft one, while the soft one won’t do any harm on the hard one, and the thing of equal hardness can scratch each other. Knowing that glass is at about 6 on Mohs scale of mineral hardness, a lot of stuff daily used cannot scratch the glass, such as keys, coins, or plastics. But why do some of us find the phone scratches in our pockets? She demonstrates the situation in our pockets and explains that the glass back isn’t scratched and the scratches on the back of the phone are the residue that coming of the soft items. For example, your keys scratch the Google Pixel 3 XL, but the marks are the residue left by keys. And you can clean them.
As we know, the Google Pixel 3/ 3 XL applies the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 which can even survive 1.6-meter should-height drops onto hard, rough surfaces up to 80% of the time, according to the advertising on Corning’s official website. So her explanation is really convictive.
How to clean the scratches on Google Pixel 3/ 3 XL’s matte coating glass back?
In the videos from Erica Griffin and Unbox Therapy, they tried the same methods, washing with soap and a brush. If you can rub it off, then don’t need to put it under running water. But when the residue is stubborn, you can wash it off.
Don’t worry. Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL have been upgraded to the more durable IP68 spec, which means they are completely dust-tight and are protected against the effects of long periods of immersion in water, which usually means it will survive in up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) of water for a maximum of 30 minutes.
Although the things in your pocket won’t scratch the back glass of your phone, they do leave marks on the matte coating part. If you don’t want to waste your time to clean it, you need a protective case.
Protective Case for Google Pixel 3 XL Recommended
Trianium CLARIUM Series Case for Google Pixel 3 XL
- Featuring two layers of protection: a shock-absorbing frame that protects against drops, and a solid, durable body that protects against scrapes, bumps and more.
- DESIGNED FOR PIXEL 3 XL – This Trianium Clarium Case for Google Pixel 3 XL is made to perfectly fit your Pixel 3 XL with precision cutouts for all ports and the camera hole.
- PREMIUM TPU BUMPER – Shock absorbing, scratch resistant bumper and durable polycarbonate backplate provides long lasting protection from scratches, scrapes and every day wear. Also provides a super slim profile and an easy grip.
- ULTRA-CLEAR – Slim, transparent protective case reveals and enhances the original color and design of the Pixel 3 XL.
Xawy [Slim Thin] Carbon Fiber TPU Shock Absorption Anti-Scratches Protective Case for Google Pixel 3 XL
- Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design
- Flexible TPU case with interior spider-web pattern & Raised lip to protects screen
- Mil-grade certified with Air Cushion Technology
- Tactile buttons for solid feedback and an easy press
- Designed for Google Pixel 3 XL Case (2018)
SUPCASE Full-Body Rugged Holster Case with Built-in Screen Protector for Google Pixel 3 XL
- Bumpers constructed of shock-absorbent TPU materials; PC backing prevents scratches and blemishes
- Includes convenient belt clip holster that grabs securely and rotates 360 degrees for convenience
- Fully functional screen protector built directly into the front of the case eliminates the need for an extra purchase or tricky installations
- Textured bumpers create an enhanced grip，Rugged, shock-resistant, full-body case made of a hard outer Polycarbonate shell and drop-absorbing inner TPU lining
Maxboost [Folio Style] Wallet Case for Google Pixel 3 XL
- Quality crafted PU Leather Google Pixel 3 XL Wallet Case features multiple color options, as well as four corners and front and back protection.
- Multi-functional – Perfect for on-the-go use, the Google Pixel 3 XL card case features 3 card slots, a side pocket for money or additional cards, and a magnetic lock design.
- Convenient to Use – Precise cutouts for speakers, camera and other functional ports allow you easy access to all ports and functions, without removing the case.
- View from any Angle – The Maxboost wallet case can switch to a horizontal position and act as a stand; perfect for entertainment or streaming.
How to prolong Google Pixel 3 XL’s battery life