The new-release iPad Pro is the first iOS devices featured with USB-C. However, not all USB-C connectors are the same, and not even everything that looks like a USB-C connector is a USB-C connector. How’s the function of USB-C on iPad Pro 2018? How’s the function of USB-C on iPad Pro 2018? Can it be used as a super portable PC? Let’s find.
The USB-C on new iPad Pro 2018
For the 2018 iPad Pro, USB-C means a bunch of new features. USB-C supports to deliver a lot more power than a Lightning cable, up to 100 watts. That’s the reason why it can replace a 60-watt- plus MacBook charger. And you can even use your iPad to charge your iPhone on the go. Although Apple hasn’t said yet what kind of power that iPad will be able to push, it must be a savior when you need some extra juice for your iPhone in an emergency. All you need is a USB-C to Lightning cable for an extra $8.98. However, if a high-draw accessory is hooked up on the iPad Pro, the battery will possibly drain very fast. Therefore, a powered hub is definitely your necessity.
The new iPad Pro applies the latest USB 3.1 gen 2, which means it can transfer data at up to 10 Gbps. Compared to the USB 3.0 used in Lightning, with a maximum of 5 Gbps, it makes little difference for most things. It enables to drive external 4K displays, and hook up many accessories to the iPad at once.
What can you connect to iPad Pro 2018 via USB-C?
Coming with a USB-C port, iPad Pro 2018 can compatible with a lot of devices. The list is pretty much the same as it was with Lightning and the Lightning to USB 3.0 adapter. Keyboards, USB MIDI devices, cameras, audio interfaces, Ethernet adapters, and external storage(USB stick and hard drive, but only for accessing photos and videos.). Actually, the new added USB-C port doesn’t change the compatibility with other USB devices. It only changes the way you connect them.
Best USB-C Hubs for iPad Pro 2018
There is only one USB-C port on the new iPad Pro. To connect more devices simultaneously, you need a USB-C hub. There are a lot of choices thanks to the lack of ports on the MacBook. In order to power the iPad Pro at the same time, the hub you selected should allow pass-through power. And you can connect a charger to the hub, which will charge the iPad and all other connected devices.
MSRP Price: $99 (50% off for subscribers on the product page)
- World’s first dedicated USB-C hub specifically designed for the new 2018 iPad Pro
- Connects directly to the iPad Pro single USB-C port to add 6 new ports (4K HDMI, 3.5mm audio jack, SD, micro SD, USB-A 3.0 and USB-C Power Delivery)
- iPad Pro matching Space Gray and Silver color Aluminum enclosure
- Removable and replaceable translucent C-shape grip made of soft polycarbonate and ABS material securely holds the USB-C hub in place without blemishing the iPad Pro surface
- From the makers of the world’s first and best selling dedicated USB-C hub for the MacBook Pro
- Works with both 11- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro with or without Apple Smart (Keyboard) Folio
Current Price: $69.99
- 7 PORTS: HDMI up to 4K@30Hz video output, 3 USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 1), SD Card Reader, Micro SD Card Reader, USBC Power Delivery port. Ethernet port not included.
- Allows you to charge the MacBook Pro or other Type-C phones and other devices.
- Matches the design and color and compatible with the Apple MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac Pro, iMac, Dell, HP, etc.
Current Price: $49.99
- Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) ports and SD & micro SD card slots all support data transfer rates up to 5Gbps. Transfer an HD movie in seconds
- HDMI port outputs resolutions up to 4K@30Hz to a connected display
- The 100W USB Power Delivery port keeps your MacBook or other compatible USB-C PD laptop or phone fully charged (using your device’s original power adapter) while you’re using all the other functions of the hub
- Fashioned from strong & lightweight aluminum alloy, this hub is both attractive and practical