On 27th March, two Chinese brands, Huawei and Xiaomi, announced their first mobile phone supporting wireless charging. However, both Huawei P20 and P20 Pro are out of the list. Only Huawei RS Porsche supports 10W wireless charging which is 80% faster than iPhone X. This is a sad news to us. Because most of us won’t cost double price for a wireless charging cell phone. We have other choices after all, such as iPhone 8 and Samsung S9.
Nevertheless, wireless charging is the near future for Huawei. Huawei RS Porsche adopts the Receiver(Rx) Solution from IDT (Integrated Device Technology), a company provides wireless charging chipsets, both transmitters(Tx) and Rx, for Samsung’s flagship models.
IDT is the global leader in wireless power solutions for both the Rx used in smartphones and other applications, as well as the Tx used in charging pads and automotive in-car applications. IDT’s market-leading products in RF, high-performance timing, memory interface, real-time interconnect, optical interconnect, wireless power, and smart sensors are among the company’s broad array of complete mixed-signal solutions for the communications, computing, consumer, automotive and industrial segments. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., IDT has design, manufacturing, sales facilities and distribution partners throughout the world.
Actually, Huawei has joined the WPC Wireless Charging Alliance (the maker of the Qi standard). The categories registered on WPC’s official website are automotive manufacturing, consumer electronics, IC and power electronics, mobile phones and accessories, power supplies, and converters. Other WPC members are Apple, SONY, Texas Instruments and other foreign manufacturers, as well as Haier, Lenovo, Xiaomi and other domestic companies.
In fact, Huawei is not only a member of the WPC Wireless Charging Alliance but also a member of the AirFuel Wireless Charging Alliance. At the AirFuel Wireless Charging Conference and Developer Forum held in Shenzhen from 14th March to 16 March, Huawei Watt Lab gave some suggestions on how to improve the performance of AirFuel technology on smartphones. They suggested that a wireless charging scheme combining Qi and AirFuel should be adopted in the short term, while a separate AirFuel solution will be realized in the long term. Therefore, Huawei wireless charging handsets are expected to use Qi-standard compatible AirFuel magnetic resonance wireless charging technology to cover all major mainstream wireless charging technologies in the market. Samsung Wireless Charger—How Does It Work
Huawei is studying a multi-device wireless charging technology similar to Apple’s AirPower. AirPower is a wireless charging pad developed by Apple that can wirelessly charge iPhone 8/X, AirPods and Apple Watch at the same time. Huawei seems to be somewhat unconvincing and is attempt to research this technology. We believe that in the near future we can see Huawei’s multi-device wireless charging support accessories. Of course, before the wireless charging accessories, Huawei devices that support wireless charging will be released in the first place.
It seems that wireless charging will become the standard configuration of smartphones in this year. Don’t make your decision too early. More choices for you are on their way.
Wireless Charger Recommended
Anker PowerWave Fast Wireless Charging Pad, Qi-Certified
Current Price: $21.99
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 30+ million powered by our leading technology.
- A Galaxy of Speed: A high-efficiency chipset provides 10W high-speed charging for Samsung Galaxy. iPhones get a boosted 5W charge at 10% faster than other wireless chargers.
- Flip It: Charge in landscape orientation while watching videos, or portrait mode for messaging and facial recognition.
- Case Friendly: Don’t fumble with your phone case. PowerWave transmits charging power directly through protective cases.
EasyAcc Wireless Charger Car Mount with Air Vent Phone Holder
- Quick Charge Supported – ensures continuous wireless high input even when GPS is on, no worries power goes down on the road. (QC 3.0 car charger required, not included).
- One Hand Operation – slide your phone in and secure in place with two simple motions. All can be done with just one hand hence no interruption on driving.
- No Drop – phone and the car mount won’t fall off even driving on tough road due to soft rubber made air vent clip, fixed nut and phone holder keep phone+car mount tight, thus your phone and air vents are well-protected.
- 360° Rotating Phone Holder – Able to set up horizontal and vertical stand angles, more convenient to adjust GPS or to answer calls.
Should you buy a wireless charging power bank for your Samsung Galaxy S9