The Galaxy Watch 5 and Galaxy Watch 5 Pro come with a lot of upgrades over their predecessors. They support health tracking features, they are more durable. Most important of all, they feature bigger battery and fast charging.
On the Galaxy Watch 5, the battery capacity reaches 284mAh (40mm) and 410mAh (44mm), promising up to 46 hours of usage on a full battery. While on the Watch 5 Pro, you get 590mAh battery cell and a total battery life as much as 80 hours. The Galaxy Watch 5 models also come with a brand new 10W wireless charger that has a USB-C connector.
How to charge Galaxy Watch 5 with a charger
Therefore, you can directly charge your Watch via the bundled charger. Only remember to use a compatible USB-C wall charger to extract the maximum 10W wireless charging speed on your Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 or Watch 5 Pro. You can also charge it on a Samsung wireless charging mat, of course, but if you are wondering if any other third-party Qi wireless charger works as well, the answer is probably not. Like the Galaxy Watch 4 models, your Galaxy Watch 5 is limited to WPC-based wireless charging, which means that it only draws power from Samsung official wireless chargers.
How to charge Galaxy Watch 5 without a charger
It’s convenient to charge your Watch with a charger, however, what if you don’t have the charger and the wearable is running out of battery? Thanks to the Wireless PowerShare technology, you can power it up in case of emergency.
Wireless PowerShare, also known as reverse wireless charging, is a common feature in premium Samsung smartphones that lets you charge your wearables such as smartwatches and earbuds wirelessly. Theoretically, you can charge your Galaxy Watch 5 from any smartphones with reverse wireless charging. However, probably because the Watch is limited to WPC-based wireless charging, it seems that the Watch 5 still only draws power from Samsung phones. Other brand phones that support reverse wireless charging don’t work at all.
Here’s how to enable Wireless PowerShare:
- Swipe down from the top of your phone to open quick settings.
- Find and tap the Wireless PowerShare tile to turn it on.
- Place your Samsung phone on a table face down.
- Put your Galaxy Watch 5 in the center of the phone to start charging it.
Note that the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro has a new strap design, which prevents it from reverse wireless charging. To make it happen you need to remove the wrist strap from the smartwatch first. On the other hand, the standard Galaxy Watch 5 design doesn’t have this problem.
Belkin 40W Dual Port USB C Wall Charger
- DURABLE AND TRAVEL READY: Our Belkin Wall Charger is designed with durability in mind and features a travel-ready design, as it is compact, lightweight and has foldable prongs (US Only).
- USB-C PD 3.0 CERTIFIED: This Samsung and iPhone charger is USB-C PD 3.0 certified, meaning it can deliver a fast and safe charge to your compatible device.
- DUAL PORTS OPTIMIZED FOR MOST DEVICES: This Belkin USB C wall charger is optimized for iPhone, Samsung, and more, giving you a one-charger solution for a variety of devices.
Anker 2-Pack 20W USB-C Fast Charger with Foldable Plug
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 55 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Charge Up to 3x Faster: Power up your iPhone 12 to 50% in less than half an hour—that’s 3x faster compared to an original 5W charger.
- Take Anywhere: Easily carry PowerPort III 20W Cube with you thanks to the compact design and foldaway charging prongs.
- Superior Safety: Equipped with a wide range of safety features including temperature control and current regulation to protect your connected devices.