iPhone 12 lineup are the first iPhones to support 5G networks. And all of them purchased in the United States are compatible with both the two types of 5G, super-fast mmWave 5G and the slower but more widespread Sub-6GHz 5G. But if you buy one outside of the U.S., it doesn’t have the mmWave antenna and won’t connect to mmWave networks. Anyhow, you are able to enjoy accelerated wireless speeds of the 5G network on your new iPhone 12.
Pick the right plan to get the speediest 5G coverage
First of all, you will consider switching to a 5G plan. The fact is you might not have to change plans at all. All carriers in the U.S. are offering both mmWave and Sub-6GHz 5G networks, though availability varies. We just talk about the three major carriers here.
Old Sprint customers and existing T-Mobile subscribers will get access to T-Mobile’s nationwide 5G sub-6GHz network at no extra cost, no matter what plan they have. T-Mobile has the broadest nationwide 5G network among the three carriers but is the only one that doesn’t have a mmWave component.
AT&T named sub-6GHz as 5G, and mmWave UVB called 5G Plus. According to other people’s tests, It’s not much faster than the carrier’s 4G LTE network. And the speeds of 5G Plus network are limited due to the extremely numbered of covered cities.
Verizon’s 5G network is built based on the existing 4G LTE bands, therefore, the speeds you get are probably the same as LTE. However, its coverage is pretty decent. Every Verizon customers are able to access to nationwide 5G, no matter you have an unlimited plan or an older capped plan.
All of these three have their advantages and shorts. It’s better for you to find more information about their plans’ content and price before making a decision.
Choose the right data mode on your iPhone 12/ 12 Pro/ 12 Mini to save data and battery
There are three 5G data genres, 5G On, 5G Auto, and LTE. When you choose 5G On, your phone will use 5G wherever it is available. It may reduce battery life. LTE is the 4G network we used before. If you select it, you won’t experience the lightening speed 5G brings. 5G Auto, the default setting, uses 5G only when 5G won’t significantly reduce battery life.
Follow the steps to set up data genres. Settings>Cellular>cellular plan or Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data
Meanwhile, there are 3 data modes optional. By default, ‘Allow More Data on 5G’ brings higher-quality video and FaceTime when connected to 5G cellular networks. If you choose ‘Standard’ mode, it will allow automatic updates and background tasks on cellular but limits video and FaceTime quality. ‘Low Data Mode’ pauses automatic updates and background tasks when connected to a cellular network.
Follow the steps to set up data genres. Settings>Cellular>cellular plan or Cellular Data Options>Data Mode
Recommended Accessories for iPhone 12/ 12 Pro/ 12 Mini
Current Price: $11.95
- Complete Charging Convenience: Instantly charge your phone or earbuds simply by placing them in the center of PowerWave Pad. Never fuss around with plugging and unplugging cables again, just set down and power up.
- Universal Compatibility: PowerWave Pad provides 10W output for Samsung Galaxy, 7.5W for iPhone, and 5W for other phones or wireless earbuds (including AirPods).
- Through-Case Charging: Don’t fumble with your phone case. PowerWave charges directly through protective cases up to 5 mm thick (not including cases with magnetic or metal attachments).
Current Price: $29.99
- Triple Charging Modes: 18W Power-Delivery USB-C port, PowerIQ-enabled USB-A port, and trickle-charging mode for low-power devices. Use the dual USB ports to charge two devices simultaneously.
- Rapid Recharge: Power up your PowerCore in just 4.5 hours with a USB-C Power Delivery wall charger (not included).Recharging via USB-A charger and cable (not included) will take approximately 10.2 hours.
- Quality Throughout: With a sleek matte exterior and cool-blue LED light-wheel to display battery level, PowerCore Slim 10000 PD is premium both inside and out.
Current Price: $29.99
- Double Charging Options: Recharge from the USB-C charge port and charge two devices simultaneously via the dual USB ports (USB-C & USB-A)- Mini Power Bank 10000mah
- Ultra Light & Pocket Size: At only 7 oz and just the size of a credit card, it’s the best partner for on-the-go and travel- Mini Power Bank 10000mah
- 4 Colors Silicone Case: Not just a sign of your mood but also a mark of your personality. Write color into every detail of your life and say goodbye to plain black and dull darks
- Powerful Protector: Anti-scratch, anti-slip, and anti-drop sleeve made from premium silicone offers maximum protection against daily wear and tear without adding any bulk