What is A Giveaway?
Technically speaking, when you hear the term ‘giveaway’, you should think of it as a promotional drawing where a prize is given away to a participant chosen from a pool of entries at random. A giveaway in this case is referred to as a ‘sweepstakes’. Technically speaking, when you hear the term ‘giveaway’, you should think of it as a promotional drawing where a prize is given away to a participant chosen from a pool of entries at random. A giveaway in this case is referred to as a ‘sweepstakes’.
A giveaway is a promotional tool used by businesses to improve awareness of the brand, improve their image, or drive sales. Giveaways can range a great deal in size and value. Most businesses that use giveaways in their marketing strategies roll the price of their giveaway into their other products or services. This is true if the company does not have a large enough marketing budget to cover the cost of the giveaway.
A small giveaway, for example, might be a free bookmark given away by a book shop with every purchase. An example of a large giveaway is an all-inclusive five day vacation to a tropical region. The size of this kind of promotional item and the quantity given away depends entirely on the scope and purposes of the campaign to which the giveaway is related.
Why Run A Giveaway?
As an internet marketer, keeping up with a blog, focusing on SEO, running monthly webinars, and being active on Twitter are just a few of the marketing channels that might require your focus. However, have you considered the powerful benefits of incorporating giveaways into your marketing strategy?
You’ll find the benefits of giveaways can bring you a return on your investment as much, if not more, than any of the aforementioned marketing channels. Below are some of the reasons you might think about running a giveaway:
- Grow your network. Running a giveaway is a fantastic way to build your social media following on sites like Facebook & Twitter.
Generate leads. A sweepstakes is great for growing leads or increasing the number of email list subscribers. It’s a lead generation secret weapon.
Save money. Running a giveaway can be an inexpensive & cost-effective marketing channel; the cost associated with running a giveaway can be low and predictable. Just budget for the cost of the prize, how you’ll market it, and the time you spend on managing the process.
Gain product exposure. Launching your product with a giveaway is an amazing way to generate buzz around your brand. Having the prize be your product will help gauge interest and fuel excitement. Using your product as the giveaway’s prize is one way to get people excited about your product and try it out.
Give back to your fans. Want to share the love & give out prizes to your fans? Running a giveaway is a great way to show your appreciation.
Save time & headaches. In relation to other internet marketing channels, running a giveaway doesn’t require a lot of technical knowledge. In addition, the amount of time spent into creating and launching a giveaway promotion is relatively low. Rafflecopter makes this process fast and easy.
Have some fun. Everyone loves the chance of winning! There’s nothing more joyful than delivering the good news to your winners. Relative to other marketing channels, running a giveaway can be a blast.
Liven up your community. If you’re looking for a way to get your fans excited, running a giveaway will get them chatting.
Difference Between A Contest, Sweepstakes, & Lottery
When you consider running a promotion online, you’ll hear three keywords thrown around besides ‘giveaway’: sweepstakes, contest, and lottery. At first glance, it’s easy to get these three terms confused with one another, but there are distinct differences between each.
- A sweepstakes is defined as ‘a promotional drawing in which prizes are given away at no charge to the participants’. Winners will be selected at random. Think of a sweepstakes as a game of luck.
- A contest is defined as ‘an event in which people try to win by doing something better than others’. Winners will be chosen or judged based on their submission or performance. Think of a contest as a game of skill.
- A lottery is defined as ‘a means of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving prizes to the holders of numbers drawn at random’. This includes a fundraiser raffle or the powerball lottery. The winner is chosen at random, but you have to pay to play.
How to run a Giveaway?
- Step 1. Determine the goal of the giveaway. What is the primary purpose of the Giveaway? Is your focus to increase social engagement to your Facebook or Twitter pages? Or are you interested in using Giveaways as a link building strategy? The goal that you choose will determine the type of contest and entries that you will run. Additionally, you also need to determine your budget for promoting the Giveaway.
- Step 2. What will you be giving away, and how long will the contest run? Based on the goal of the contest, your margins, and your audience, you can select a giveaway product that people will love. If you have an obscure product, giving it away may not be a sufficient incentive for people to enter your giveaway. In that case you may choose to give away a Visa gift card or Ipad or something that everyone will want. Additionally, you must determine how long your contest will run. We find that 1 month is optimal, as it gives you enough time to get the most out of the giveaway, without being much too long thus causing people to forget all about it.
- Step 3. Create your giveaway on Rafflecopter. Why Rafflecopter? Because it’s awesome. It takes minutes to create a Giveaway. It gives you the ability to create multiple entries so that through one Giveaway you can fulfill various objectives, including link building and social engagement. It’s very inexpensive. And it can be integrated into your page, Facebook, and other blogs. Creating a Giveaway Contest on Raffle Copter. Some of the entries that we recommend are: Tweet about the Giveaway, Leave a Blog Post Comment, Follow @yourname on Twitter, Easy entry for all YourName fans on Facebook (fangate), Like this post on Facebook/Google +1/, Follow us on Pinterest, Follow us on Instagram, Subscribe to us on YouTube, Link to us from your Blog.
- Step 4. Add the widget to your site and to Facebook. Once the Giveaway is created, Rafflecopter will give you an embed code that you can easily copy and paste to your site.
- Step 5. Establish benchmarks. Before you launch your Giveaway, create a document for yourself with your benchmarks. Here are a few that you can consider: Number of likes on Facebook. Number of Google +1’s to the page Number of Retweets to the page.
- Step 6. Create an email announcing the giveaway to your email subscriber. Reaching out to your current customers and subscribers gives you an opportunity to “seed” the giveaway with existing fans. Additionally, this gives your customers an opportunity to engage with your brand.
- Step 7. Submit your giveaway. There are a large number of sites that can be used to promote giveaways and contests. Most are free, and some give you the option to pay to enhance the visibility of your contest.
- Step 8. Reach out to giveaway bloggers to promote your giveaway. There are many blogs dedicated to promoting Giveaways. These are typically run by mommy bloggers or stay at home entrepreneurs that are dedicated to finding and promoting giveaways.
- Step 9. Determine promotions budget & track your outreach. It’s important to stay organized while you go through this process! There will be so many emails back and forth, each at different stages of the promotions process, that things can easily slip through the cracks.
- Step 10. Promote your giveaway on a daily basis. Did you know that thousands of sites host “Linkies”? By going to these pages, you can submit your giveaway through a “Linky” form on these sites. Here is a list of Giveaways that we’ve created based on the day of the week: List of Blog Giveaway Linkies by Weekday, Additionally, you may choose to advertise your Giveaway on a variety of platforms. Here are a few options: Facebook StumbleUpon Reddit Twitter.
- Step 11. Email the giveaway entrants to encourage them to come back. Halfway through the contest, send out an email to all of the entrants to encourage them to return to your site for more entries. You may choose to add a new “Mega Entry” to encourage people to participate, or simply by sending them a reminder you may generate more buzz. By sending out an email, you may get some of the existing entrants to Tweet about the Giveaway, or post on their Facebook page, or Pin your contest, which will in turn generate more exposure to your Giveaway.
- Step 12. Select your winner! If you’ve continued advertising your giveway and submitting to Linkies, you should have several hundred entries by the end of the 15-30 day period. Depending on how many entries you made available will determine the total number of entries.
- Step 13. Upload emails to your email list. If you included an email collector as an entry, or included in the Disclosure that entrants would be added to your mailing list, download the spreadsheet from Rafflecopter and add the emails to your email list. Send out an email to your list announcing the winner and thanking people for participating.
- Step 14. Mail out the prize. Don’t just send out the product in a boring box. Make it beautiful! Add a personalized letter or something that will make the winner feel special. Encourage the winner to share about winning the price, and to review your product on their site.
Join Giveaway Now: http://www.easyacc.com/media-center/category/deals-and-giveaways/