Right on March 18, Apple unveiled a new MacBook Air and a new generation of iPad Pros together with the Magic Keyboard. The Keyboard has three new standouts: a smooth angle hinge that allows the iPad Pro to adjust up to 130 degrees, a trackpad which has been leaked long before the launch date, and a USB-C port for powering the tablet and saving iPad Pro’s own USB-C port for peripherals such as removable storage. Although Apple also has other Smart Keyboards in past years, this is the first time that any of those things — which we mentioned just now — has appeared on an official iPad keyboard from Apple, and some of them are long-awaited.
The Magic Keyboard comes with the new iPad Pro, but according to the official report, it is backwards compatible with earlier iPad Pro models. In other words, if you have an iPad Pro 2018 of the 3rd generation or the 4th generation, the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard suits you as well; and if you have a 1st or 2nd generation of iPad Pro, the 11-inch Magic Keyboard also works great on it. As a bonus, the Keyboard can fold around the tablets to protect them in your bag, too.
So, why is it not compatible with other iPad models? The truth is that it relies on the newly positioned Smart Connector along the back to charge and communicate with the device. For an alternative, you can also have a look at Logitech’s Combo Touch keyboard case with an integrated trackpad, which supports the iPad (7th generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) and the 10.5-inch iPad Pro. Its design is a little different from Apple Magic Keyboard, featuring backlit keys and multiple viewing angles and that just looks like it has a cloth finish to it.
The Combo Touch will be available in May for $149.99. While the Magic Keyboard, also due in May, is a lot more expensive: $299 for the 11-inch model and $349 for the 12.9-inch model. It is really an expensive upgrade, but for many iPad Pro users, it will be well worth it. Apple has been pushing to make iPad Pro a laptop replacement for years. The hardware is already realized, especially when the new iPad Pro is loaded on an A12Z Bionic chip, offering iPad Pro the highest performance ever in an iPad. On the other side, the essential ingredient that has been ignored for years, a real keyboard with a real trackpad is perfectly added this time. Just like what Apple says in its official website, “Your next computer is not a computer”, don’t miss the new iPad Pro if you want an ever magical PC laptop experience.
ESR Yippee Trifold Smart Case for iPad Pro 11 2020 now $14.99 on Amazon
- COMPATIBILITY – Designed for the Apple iPad Pro 11″ (2020 & 2018). Not compatible with any other iPad models.
- FULL PROTECTION – The front cover & translucent case protect your iPad from the perils of daily life while remaining slim and lightweight.
- SMART COVER – Ensures the auto sleep/wake feature works quickly every time. The trifold magnetic cover supports both viewing and typing stand modes.
- APPLE PENCIL COMPATIBLE – Supports the Apple Pencil 2’s new magnetic attachment and wireless charging features with a specially designed side cutout.
- FUNCTIONAL CLASP – Specially designed to keep your iPad securely covered with or without an Apple Pencil attached.